28 October 2009

summary of rome

So basically Rome was awesome! went for one night and stayed at my first european hostel! It was called the yellow and wasn't too bad for our first hostel experience! I went with Hillary and Rachel and had a pretty great time! Saw all the sights, artwork, etc... but without too much information being forced at us! We probably walked about 8 miles the first day and I was wearing low heeled boots... BAD call! my feet have never been so mad at me in my entire life! Rome was a nice break from Florence! While it is still touristy it is much more open and the weekend we went the weather was pretty much ideal! Below are some pictures of what all we visited and saw! Along with all this we saw the sistine chapel ceiling too. While I know that most of it is not original, it was still amazing. The more frescos I look at the more impressed I am with the process that went into it originally. Painting a ceiling on sketchy wooden scaffolding and only with the light of candles while using one of the most challenging painting techniques available! craziness! But ya, had a great time and would totally recommend visiting Rome! it was definitely worth it!
here are some pictures to check out of where all we went!

me in front of some ancient Roman ruins near the colosseum.


look! it's the colosseum!


a cool church we stumbled across.


the colosseum!


our hostel - "the yellow"


famous painting i learned about in art history (#1)


famous painting i learned about in art history (#1)


famous sculpture thing i learned about in art history


the pieta by Michelangelo! amazing!


St. Peters Basillica


the river! (rachel, hillary, and me)


the ferrari shop


up there is a great lookout point of the city... where i'm standing is the nice shopping street!


throwing a coin in for luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment